As the famous educator Horace
Mann once remarked: “As
goes the teacher, so goes the school.” The teachers
at St. Pius X represent the very best of what a Catholic
education has to offer. With an average of more than fifteen
years teaching experience, our teachers provide students
with both the basic skills as well as a framework for problem
solving and critical thinking.
- The Indiana Academic Standards are used as the basis
for all curricular decision making.
- ISTEP+ results from the past several years reveal
consistent high-performance among our students. These
results have earned St. Pius X the highest rating of
from the Indiana Department of Education.
- Regular classroom instruction for grades K-5 is enhanced
by teachers specializing in art, music, physical education
and health, and library and media. Often, these grade
level and “special” teachers coordinate
integrated projects designed to engage and challenge
- The 6-8th grade students are required to take separate
classes in English and literature each year. Teachers
often collaborate on writing projects to integrate the
two courses. This approach has proven very effective
in providing students foundational skills in writing
and grammar as well as cultivating a sincere love of
- Spanish is a curricular requirement for every student
in grades K-8. While the time commitments differ according
to the grade level, this class is considered an important
part of a diversified curriculum.
- Technology and media are integrated in the curriculum,
with teachers utilizing the computer lab and library
for in-class projects and presentations.
- Several teachers are trained in the Orten-Gillingham
approach to reading, which takes a multi-faceted approach
- As a simple way to encourage critical thinking, reading
and math skills, students participate in the following
weekly activities meant to enhance these skills and bring
the students in the school together around a common goal.
St. Pius X Catholic School - 7200
Sarto Drive, Indianapolis, IN. 46240, - Phone: 317-466-3361